If you need a passport photo to be printed, simply take a photograph which follows the official passport photo guidelines, and upload it to our website using the form below
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a digital camera to take my photo?
Yes, you can use a mobile phone or digital camera. Digital formats must be ‘jpg’, ‘jpeg’, ‘gif’ or ‘png’ and the file size should be at least 1MB but no larger than 15MB. Please submit the original image to us rather than a compressed file.
How should I pose for my photo?
You must face the camera directly without tilting your head. You should have a neutral expression with both eyes open and nothing obscuring your face, including your hair. Please refer to our photo guidelines for examples and more information
Can glasses be worn in the photo?
No. Nothing that obscures your face is allowed in the photo.
Is it acceptable for my child's eyes to be closed in the photo?
Newborns and infants may have their eyes partially closed in the photo, but all other children older than 3 must follow the required photo guidelines.
Will my photo be stored so it can be used again at a later date?
No. According to government regulations, submitted photos must have been taken within the last six months, so they won’t be stored.
Passport Photo Guidelines
Your photo is critical to the usability and security of your passport. The facial recognition technology used in conjunction with Australian passports makes border processing more efficient and reduces the potential for identity fraud. If your photo does not meet the standards detailed below, your passport may not work at automated borders.
- Good quality, colour gloss prints, less than six months old
- Clear, focused image with no marks or 'red eye'
- Plain white or light grey background that contrasts with your face
- Uniform lighting (no shadows or reflections) with appropriate brightness and contrast to show natural skin tone
- Face looking directly at the camera and not tilted in any direction
- Hair off the face so that the edges of the face are visible
- Eyes open, mouth closed
- Neutral expression (not smiling, laughing or frowning), which is the easiest way for border systems to match you to your image.
The required dimensions of the photo are 35mm to 40mm wide and 45mm to 50mm high. The size of the face from chin to crown can be up to a maximum of 36mm with a minimum of 32mm.
If you usually cover your head for religious reasons, or you wear facial jewellery, your photo can include these items.